PO Box 1155
Carolina Beach, NC 28428 USA
A Link to the Art of Joanna Hancock
note: Artist's website will open in a new window.
Art From The Heart
I know there are no new subjects to be painted, but, I enjoy expressing my vision of the birds, animals, places and people around me. I hope that what I convey from my heart will speak to those who see my art, and that they will glimpse the vision that inspired it.
-- Joanna Hancock
I came to art later in life. I had always admired some oil paintings my grandmother had done; they were rendered in the style of the old masters. She died when I was 4 though, so I never got a chance to learn from her.
As with many of us, life got in the way...I grew up, married and raised four children and worked. As I was preparing to retire I decided I wasn’t going to learn any younger, so I took courses in drawing and oil painting from the Wake County Community College in Raleigh, NC… I was hooked!
Although I am not a formally trained artist; I do not hold a degree,
at least not yet, I have taken every opportunity to broaden my skills
through books, workshops, classes, and painting, painting, painting.
- 1st Place, Tabor City Yam Festival
Fine Art Exhibit,
Tabor City, NC
- 1st Place, Art Instruction School Annual Fine Art Competition, Minneapolis, MN
- Merit Award, Wilmington Art Association Bellamy House Exhibit, Wilmington, NC
- Honorable Mentions: Spring Fine Art Exhibit, Latta, SC; Visual Arts Guild Judged Show, Whiteville, NC ; Wilmington Art Association Bellamy House Exhibit, Wilmington, NC; Waterway Art Association Spring Exhibit, Ocean Isle Beach, NC; Associated Artists of Southport Fall Exhibit, Southport, NC
Solo and Group Exhibits
- Featured Artist, Franklin Square Gallery, Southport, NC
- One-Woman Show, Coffee County Library, Douglas, GA
- One of three Featured Artists in “Three Visions”, University of North Carolina, Wilmington
- Odell Williamson Auditorium Lobby, Brunswick Community College, Supply, NC
- Brunswick Town Historic Site, Permanent Collection, Brunswick County, NC
- Long Beach Library Featured Artist Exhibits, Oak Island, NC
- Many Group Shows: Franklin Square Gallery, Southport, NC; Wilmington Gallery, Wilmington, NC; Barnes & Noble Bookstore, Wilmington NC; WHQR, Wilmington, NC
Classes and Workshops
- Oil Painting, Wake County Community College, Raleigh, NC; Susan Baehmann, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, NC
- Drawing, Wake County Community College, Raleigh, NC; Susan Baehmann , University of North Carolina at Wilmington, NC
- Watercolor: Mary Ellen Golden, Wilmington, NC; Ruth Ogle Workshop, Southport, NC; Tom Lynch Workshop, Wilmington, NC; Margaret Hoyback Workshop, Wilmington, NC; Don Getts Workshop, Southport, NC
- Water Media, Experimental, Maxine Masterfield Workshop, Southport, NC
- Many workshops in oil, acrylic, watercolor, pen & ink, ink and gouache, pastels by various artists of the region through the Oak Island Art Guild, Wilmington Art Association and Associated Artists of Southport